It may have been grey outside, but it sure was bright and sunny here in our offices earlier today. Why the chipper mood? The nominations for Canada’s 37th annual National Magazine Awards were announced this morning, and Outdoor Canada is once again up for some hardware.
In all, our field editors and contributors earned seven nominations, with five alone in the “How-to” category. This is especially gratifying, considering our key mandate here at the country’s leading fishing and hunting magazine is to provide readers with expert advice on how to make the most of their time outdoors
And just to earn seven nominations is in itself gratifying considering there were more than 2,000 individual entries from 92 different magazines in the program’s 48 written, visual, integrated and special categories. The winners will be announced during the National Magazine Awards gala on June 6 at The Carlu in Toronto.
Huge congratulations to all of our nominees. Well done, gents!
- How-to: “No Bull!” by Ken Bailey (Fall 2013)
- How-to: “On Target,” by Alan Davy (Spring 2013)
- How-to: “Anatomy of River,” by George Gruenefeld (Spring 2013)
- How-to: “The Trout Trinity,” by Gord Pyzer (Winter 2013)
- How-to: “The hidden ways of the whitetail,” by Mark Raycroft (Hunting 2013)
- Service Lifestyle: “Hunting Dog Primer,” by Alan Davy, Jim McLennan, Lowell Strauss & Red Wilkinson (Hunting 2013)
- Spot Illustration: “No Bull!” by Kelly Sutherland (Fall 2013)
Meanwhile, our sister magazine here at Cottage Life Media—Cottage Life—is up for 13 National Magazine Awards of its own, including the prestigious Magazine of the Year honour. Kudos to Editor Penny Caldwell, her team and the nominated contributors—the accolades are well deserved.
For more on the National Magazine Awards Foundation and a complete list of the nominations for this year’s awards, click here.