The Outdoor Writers of Canada held its annual awards ceremony this past Saturday, with Outdoor Canada’s editors taking home an impressive array of hardware. As well, several of our freelance field editors earned a number of awards for articles published in other media.
The OWC Communications Awards were presented at the end of the organization’s annual conference, held this year at Painters Lodge in Campbell River, B.C. This year’s awards were sponsored by Shimano and Canadian National Sportsmen’s Shows.
Earning honours for work appearing in Outdoor Canada’s pages were:
- Hunting Editor Ken Bailey, 1st place in Magazine Feature Hunting for “The yuck factor” (Hunting 2012 issue).
- Associate Editor Scott Gardner, 2nd place in Magazine Feature Fishing for “Flats Fever” (Winter 2012/3).
- Fishing Editor Gord Pyzer, 3rd place in Magazine Columns for “Mind the menu” (Summer 2012 issue).
Gord Pyzer also earned several other awards for work appearing elsewhere:
- 1st and 2nd place in Newspaper/Internet Column (for Northern Ontario Tourism Portal).
- 1st and 3rd place in Newspaper/Internet Feature (for Just Fishing).
Outdoor Canada Field Editors Brad Fenson and T.J. Schwanky also earned a number of honours for work appearing in other media. Congratulations all, gentlemen!
Finally, a shout-out to the recently retired editor of Ontario Out of Doors magazine, John Kerr, for earning the Pete McGillen Award. Named after legendary outdoor writer Pete McGillen, the honour is presented to an OWC member who has “best reflected the aims and objectives of the organization.” Well deserved, John!
To learn more about the OWC, click here.