I’m darn proud of Outdoor Canada’s stellar staff and talented roster of freelance contributors today. Okay, I’m always proud of the great gang I work with, but today is extra special thanks to the unveiling of this year’s National Magazine Awards nominations.
Once again, Outdoor Canada is in the running for some prestigious honours—five in all—and I think that speaks volumes about the calibre of our contributors, and how well we serve our readers with great content. And, of course, it takes a crack, behind-the-scenes editorial squad to consistently notch up nominations. Take a bow, art director Sandra Cheung, managing editor Bob Sexton and associate editor Scott Gardner.
I’m particularly pleased to see Charles Wilkins nominated in the Sports and Recreation category for his story “Another fine day afield,” about the controversial shooting death of an American hunter in Newfoundland. Charles’ dogged investigative work not only made for a great story, it also spawned two major network documentaries about the shooting. You can read about it all in this past blog posting.
Outdoor Canada aside, our fellow magazines here at Quarto Communications / Q on Q Media also fared well in terms of nominations. Cottage Life garnered nine nods, including a shot at the ultimate prize—Magazine of the Year. Explore magazine, meanwhile, hauled in a whopping 18 nominations and Canadian Home Workshop racked up two. Pretty impressive for a small publishing house, I have to say!
Here are this year’s nominations for Outdoor Canada. Congrats to all. The gold and silver winners will be announced during the National Magazine Awards Gala at the Carlu in Toronto on June 10. Fingers crossed!
- Editorial Package: “The Ultimate Danger Guide, by Mark Anderson, Ken Bailey, Bob Izumi, Aaron Kylie, Jake MacDonald, Bruce Masterman, Leavon Peleikis, Gord Pyzer, Charles Wilkins & Staff (Summer 2010)
- How-to: “Cool moves,” by Gord Pyzer (Winter 2009/10)
- How-to: “The secret language of deer,” by Mark Raycroft (Hunting 2010)
- Single Service Article Package: “Visit. Hunt Stay,” by George Gruenefeld & Staff (Hunting 2010)
- Sports & Recreation: “Another fine day afield,” by Charles Wilkins (Winter 2009/10)