Great article below brought to you by
While hunters always manage to remember their rifles and shells when heading afield, they often overlook a number of other equally important items that belong on every big-game outing. Here are 40 essentials you should always stuff in your hunting pack.
1. Parachute cord: Repairing packs, tying stuff down, making slings, etc.
2. Duct tape: Unleashing your inner Red Green.
3. Electrical tape: Covering your rifle muzzle to keep dirt and moisture out
4. Bandaging tape: For a wide variety of first aid uses.
5. Toe warmers: Warming up cold feet.
6. Hiking pole: Keeping steady on steep terrain.
7. Gaiters: Keeping debris, snow and water out of your boots.
8. Belt cartridge holder: Keeping extra ammo handy.
9. Multi-tool: Cutting, gripping, screwing and much more.
10. Folding knife: Gutting, skinning and a host of other applications.
11. Scalpel & spare blades: Caping.
12. Sharpening steel: Touching up dull knives.
13. XL resealable bags: Packaging game meat.
14. Electrolyte tablets: Rehydrating after hiking hard in warm weather.
15. High-energy snacks: Fueling up after a hard day.
16. Emergency locator: Getting rescued.
17. GPS with mapping: Knowing where you are, and where you’re going.
18. Compass: Replacing a failed GPS.
19. Tarp: Making a temporary shelter.
20. Fire starter: Building a fire, no matter what the conditions.
21. Lighter: Starting fires.
22. Flint & steel: Starting fires if your lighter fails.
23. Headlamp: Finding your way and working in the dark.
24. Wind meter: Measuring wind speed when shooting.
25. Slope doper: Measuring the degree of angle you’re shooting at.
26. Rangefinder: Determining exactly how far you’ll be shooting.
27. Binos & harness: Carrying binoculars more comfortably.
28. Lens cloth: Keeping expensive optics clean.
29. Surveyor’s flagging tape: Marking routes and blood trails.
30. Bipod: Keeping a steady aim.
31. Shooting sticks: Keeping a steady aim when a bipod is impractical.
32. Latex gloves: Keeping your hands clean while field dressing.
33. EZ towels: Cleaning duties (just add water and they expand!)
34. Wet wipes: Keeping your hands and body clean.
35. Toilet paper: Making you happy you didn’t forget it.
36. Compact camera: Preserving memories of a lifetime.
37. Butt pad: Keeping your rear end warm and dry.
38. Water bladder: Transporting water.
39. Pack cover: Keeping your pack and its contents dry.
40. Tape measure: Green-scoring that trophy of a lifetime.
This Ultimate Hunting Pack round up was brought to you by our friends at Cabela’s. Gear up with these hunting essentials at Cabela’s Canada retail locations or online at cabelas.ca. Our expert outfitters will equip you with the highest-quality equipment to ensure a safe and successful hunt.