The Web site of Toronto’s all-news channel CP24 has posted some surprising, if unscientific, results to an online poll asking Torontonians if they think Ottawa should scrap the long-gun registry.

According to the weekend survey, 51 per cent of respondents (1,601 votes) said the registry should be killed, while 15 per cent (488 votes) answered that the registry was “a bad idea in the first place.” Combined, these replies suggest 66 per cent of the poll’s participants are in favour of ending the registry.

As for those in favour of the registry, 24 per cent (760 votes) approved, while 10 per cent (309 votes) said the removal or continuance of the registry made no difference to them.