I’m currently in Montreal for the annual nomination party for the prestigious National Magazine Awards and once again there’s great news for Outdoor Canada magazine (as well as our sister publications at Transcontinental Media). The nominations were announced just hours ago at the swanky DNA Restaurant in Old Montreal, and Canada’s only national fishing and hunting magazine was named a finalist in the following categories for the following fine work:
- Editorial Package: “The best of Living Off the Land,” Brad Fenson, T.J. Schwanky, Alan Davy, Angelo Paino, Aaron Kylie, Jake MacDonald, Mario Carlucci, Ken Bailey, Wayne Phillips, Gord Pyzer, Jack Bramm, Gord Deval, Duane Radford, Bruce Masterman, Patrick Walsh, Sherri Canjar, Nancy Johnston, George Gruenefeld, Paul Quarrington, Tony Aspler, Bob Sexton, Ryan Shervill and Deborah Podurgiel
- Service Lifestyle: “The best of Living Off the Land,” (as above)
- Sports & Recreation: “Requiem for a River,” Mark Anderson
- Sports & Recreation: “Taking Back the Sport of Kings,” Jake MacDonald
- Travel: “Requiem for a River,” Mark Anderson
Congratulations to all our nominated field editors and contributors, as well as to our excellent art and editorial staff back at the magazine’s office in Toronto (yes, that’s you Aaron Kylie, Bob Sexton and Sandra Cheung), as well as former art director Rob Biron. Hold your heads high. The gold and silver finalists will be revealed during the National Magazine Awards gala on June 5 at the Carlu in Toronto. Stay tuned!
Over the years, Outdoor Canada has earned a total of eight golds, seven silvers and 45 honourable mentions (50, as of today) at the National Magazine Awards. (Full disclosure: I’m in the first year of a two-year term as president of the National Magazine Awards Foundation, the non-profit body that organizes the annual awards program, hence my presence today in Montreal.)