The combination of rich rainbow trout and a baked tomato makes for a terrific summer lunch or a delicious appetizer for a grand dinner party. Atlantic and Pacific salmon also shine with this easy-to-prepare recipe.
- 4 large tomatoes
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 to 1¼ lb boneless, skinless rainbow trout fillets, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- ¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove tops from tomatoes, scoop out seeds and pulp, then turn upside down to drain. Dry tomatoes with paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, mix trout pieces with garlic, shallots, ½ cup breadcrumbs, dill and 2 tablespoons oil. Fill tomato cups with mixture, creating small mounds. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs on top of each stuffed tomato and drizzle with remaining oil.
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until trout is lightly browned on top. Serve with crusty French bread and a small green salad.