As with any hunting, you want to make the most of your kill. Here’s how to clean your catch to take home for the pot.
- Lay the squirrel on its back.
- Make a cut through the tailbone, . of an inch from the base of the tail. Do not cut through the skin on the back (top side) of the tail. Cut only the bone and the underlayer of skin.
- Extend that cut one inch on either side of the tail, at 90 degrees to the tail.
- Stand firmly on the tail close to its base with all your weight.
Grab a hind leg in each hand and pull up. The skin will peel off like a sock, all the way to the head.
- Pull the skin off the front and hind legs by working your finger between the skin and the flesh as you pull on the skin.
- Cut off the head and all four feet at the ankles.
- Gut the squirrel as you would a deer or game bird.
- If you have more than one squirrel, skin them all first to keep your hands clean, then gut them.