French flair for your next trout dinner
With this easy but spectacular crepe creation, you’ll have your guests proclaiming “c’est magnifique” in no time at all. No rainbow? Any true trout will do the trick. Serves 4.
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp canola oil
- 4 tsp butter, divided
- 1 lb rainbow trout
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp butter or oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup peas
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp hot chili garlic sauce
To prepare crepes:
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix eggs, milk, flour and salt until batter is smooth. Stir in canola oil.
- Heat a 6-inch crepe pan or non-stick sauté pan over medium heat, melt ½ tsp butter then add enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan. Quickly swirl pan to spread batter to the edge. When bottom of crepe is brown, flip and brown other side (about 1 minute per crepe. Repeat the process to make 8 crepes. Keep warm in oven.
- (Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to let freshly made crepe batter rest before cooking. Keep in mind, too, the thinner the batter, the more delicate the crepe. Butter in the pan adds flavour, but feel free to use oil or margarine instead.)
To prepare filling:
- Smoke or poach trout, then pull meat from bones and break into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Sauté onions, mushrooms, celery and garlic in butter or oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add peas and tarragon and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and combine with trout. Set aside.
To prepare sauce
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add flour and stir until bubbling.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Season with salt and white pepper. Reserve ½ cup sauce and gently mix the rest with filling.
- Spoon ½ cup of filling onto middle of each crepe and fold sides overtop. Mix reserved white sauce with chili garlic sauce and pour over rolled crepes. Serve with a simple green salad.