I find that whitefish lend themselves to fine dining. Here’s a fancy feast that’s quick and easy to prepare.
- 1/2 lb spinach
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 lb whitefish fillets
- Wash spinach thoroughly and pack into a saucepan. Sprinkle with sugar, cover and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Lift lid and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Drain and spread spinach on the bottom of a greased 1½-quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook over low heat for 1 minute. Add milk and stir to blend; cook until slightly thickened. Add mushrooms, cheese, parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Spread fillets over spinach and pour sauce over fish. Bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.