You’ll forget about all other shepherd’s pies once you’ve tasted this wild-game version, made with venison. While I typically use deer meat, this savoury dish also works well with moose, caribou, elk and antelope.
- 1 lb ground venison
- 4 ounces ground pork
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 cup beef or venison stock (or red wine)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup Asiago, Cheddar or Gruyère cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown venison and pork in canola oil in a heavy skillet. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, carrots, peas, rosemary and stock, then simmer until vegetables soften. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole. Cover with mashed potatoes and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake in oven until bubbling and the cheese is golden brown.
- Crusty bread and a simple green salad or crunchy coleslaw is all you need to complete this meal.