Back to Top
- 4 tbsp softened butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 6 slices smoked bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 bay leaves
- 8 cups milk
- 2 cups kernel corn
- 1 lb fish fillets, cut into one-inch cubes
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- At Home: Blend together butter and flour to create kneaded butter for thickening the chowder. Chill
and pack in a small container.
- Sauté bacon, onion and red pepper in a stockpot. Add potatoes, celery, tarragon, bay leaves and milk.
- Simmer until potatoes are just about done, then add corn and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Chill and pack mixture in a container for travelling.
- On the Ice: Bring mixture to a simmer over a gas stove or fire and add cubed fish. Season with cayenne pepper and salt and pepper.
- Thicken with kneaded butter and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.