This no-fuss recipe works great for all species of salmon, including Atlantics and milder-flavoured Pacifics such as pinks and chum, as well as steelhead. The dish makes a wonderful presentation for a small dinner party or special occasion. Serves 4.
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 salmon or steelhead fillets (1 lb each), skin on one side
- Combine first three ingredients in a mixing bowl, whisking until well blended. Pour into a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the fillets.
- Place fillets skin side up in marinade and chill for two of hours (longer if you want to intensify the taste).
- Just before cooking, let excess marinade drip off fillets; cut into four portions.
- Place fillets skin side up in a hot frying pan for three minutes or until brown; reduce heat to medium and gently flip fillets over. Fry for another four to five minutes.
- Serve with asparagus spears and a scoop of aromatic ermes red rice.