Enjoy fine gourmet cuisine with this classic French dish
RECIPE & PHOTO BY CAMERON TAIT
Typically only enjoyed in upscale fine-dining establishments, this savoury dish is packed with protein, omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins and more thanks to the nutrient-rich trout. Health benefits aside, the combination of trout, salty capers, creamy butter and fresh lemon makes for flavourful perfection. Serves 4
- 4 trout fillets, skin on (4 oz each)
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup Sauvignon Blanc
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp capers
- Juice of half lemon
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- 3 tbsp slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Lightly score the skin side of the fillets with a sharp knife, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan to medium-high, then sear trout skin side down. Once the skin is crispy, flip the fillets and reduce heat to medium.
- Add the wine and garlic to the pan. Once the wine is reduced by half, add the capers and lemon juice and bring to a simmer.
- Add the butter and almonds, swirling the pan to melt the butter. Finally, sprinkle with parsley, adjust the seasoning if necessary, and serve immediately.
FOR THE GLASS
A refreshing white wine from Canada’s Peller Estates, Private Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2021 VQA offers a fine accompaniment for this exquisite fish dish. Serve chilled, and expect lingering aromas of grapefruit, gooseberry, passionfruit and lemony herbs.