Thai Chili Pike
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ carrot, cut into thin strips
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped basil leaves
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped mint leaves
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
On the ice
- 2 L vegetable oil
- 2 pike fillets, cubed into two-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 oz sweet chili sauce
- 4 lemon wedges
- Place cut vegetables and herbs in separate travel containers.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper; place in travel container.
- Cook rice according to directions and place in travel container.
On the ice
- In a heavy-bottom pot, heat vegetable oil to 350°F (use a high-heat thermometer).
- Coat pike cubes with cornstarch and flour mix; shake off excess.
- Carefully place coated fish in oil and cook until golden brown (approximately 1½ minutes); remove and place on paper towels.
- Heat sesame oil in frying pan, then add cooked fish and sweet chili sauce; carefully toss to coat and caramelize the fish.
- Reheat cooked rice and spoon fish on top; garnish with red onions, carrots and chopped herbs.